A maternity shoot is one of the most exciting photo sessions and personally one of my faves. While the baby will be getting all the attention in the months to come, this is all about the mother-to-be. It's a time to celebrate your beauty and capture one of the most unforgettable moments in your life.
While the question of "what to wear" is on every woman's mind before the camera starts flashing - when it comes to your maternity pics - your wardrobe has to be just right. These photos will live on forever - whether on your mantle, in your parent's wallet, on your husband's night stand or in a Facebook album for all to see. That type exposure will make any woman want to look their best.
Finding that perfect outfit is no easy task - let alone for an expecting mom. Before we dive into specifics, I always recommend being comfortable, being yourself and having fun. Here are a few things to think about when you're getting ready to step in front of the camera.
It's About YOU
The most important thing to remember is that this is ALL about you. Your bundle of joy will have years of stealing the spotlight, so pick the clothing that accentuates your body, shows off your gorgeous curves and baby bump proudly, and makes you feel sexy.
Insider tip: Wearing a bracelet, ring, necklace or other piece of jewellery is a great way to add a personal and elegant touch.
The Little Details Matter
Choosing the right colours, combinations and coordinating with others in the photo doesn't need to follow strict guidelines or fit neatly into the "box".
Some simple rules of thumb:
- Contrasts: Mix it up. Medium or dark pants pair well with a light top. Or, if you're opting for light colours, have the father-to-be go with darker hues.
- Brights and Neutrals: A great way to highlight your beauty and stand out is to go with a bright colour while the expecting father goes with a neutral tone. Make yourself shine!
- Patterns and Solids: Pairing bold patterns with calm solids is an easy and fun way to highlight you and your belly.
Insider tip: While colour schemes, patterns and tones are great... be yourself. If you love plaid with a bedazzled jacket and knee highs, rock it!
Need Some Inspiration?
If you're still stumped on what to wear, here are a few combos that I've come to love and lend themselves to gorgeous photos.
- A simple, solid tank top is a great way to show off your shape. This can go perfectly with a playful skirt.
- Opting for your man's dress shirt and boxers (or sans boxers) can make for an intimate set of personal photos for your eyes only.
- Try a short dress with a high, gathered waist and your favourite pair of pumps.
- Show off those legs with skinny jeans, a loose top, wedges and a statement necklace.
- Keep it classy with leggings, a fitted blouse and knee-high boots, all topped off with your go-to jewellery.